Natural Fertility Support
If you’re looking for support in enhancing fertility and/or sustaining a thriving pregnancy while working with compassionate, educated and devoted providers – welcome. Natural Harmony Reproductive Health specializes in fertility and conception wellness and is dedicated to providing you individualized care that fits your family’s needs.
Whether you’re opting for Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART) like IVF or IUI or are going a more organic route, acupuncture and integrative medicine can support you on your journey to build a family.
How Acupuncture Helps
Fertility treatment from an integrative perspective supports women from pre-conception to delivery and beyond. The goal is not just to get pregnant, but also to have a thriving pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Integrative acupuncture works well for fertility because it can promote and restore balance in several unique ways.
- Regulates hormones – acupuncture, nutrition and herbal medicine are able to promote a healthy conversation between the pituitary (master hormone gland) and the ovaries, allowing for more stable and balanced hormone production over time. Acupuncture also promotes healthy metabolism of hormones through the liver. This in turn can result in more regular cycles, more optimal egg or sperm quality, a healthier uterine lining and more.
- Promotes circulation – optimal blood flow to the uterus and ovaries is essential to healthy conception. Acupuncture works to promote healthy blood flow to these organs as well as the rest of the body, which will reduce inflammation and promote optimal nourishment at a cellular level.
- Reduces stress – any reproductive endocrinologist will tell you, stress management is a HUGE part of a successful fertility plan. Acupuncture stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, promoting a relaxed state of being and allowing for optimal follicle or sperm development, ovulation, implantation and more.
By the time a person or couple comes to see us, they have often tried most everything under the sun to get pregnant, including various diets and supplements, frequent visits to doctors various doctors, lab work, prescribed drugs (like Clomid, Menopur, Letrazol, etc), IUIs, & IVFs and so on.
In working with Natural Harmony Reproductive Health, we will certainly look at all of these things, but we will also go deeper.
Your egg or sperm quality today along with your cycle patterns, endometrial lining and more are the direct reflection of the state of your health several months ago. Diet and nutrition, hormone levels, stress levels and more impact your current state of fertility. Therefore, not only will we look at your current labs, but we will address how to create lasting balance in all areas of your life, to promote healthy egg or sperm quality, and an environment in which an embryo can grow and thrive. Because again, the goal is not just to get you pregnant, but to help you grow a healthy and thriving baby.
Integrative acupuncture may positively affect fertility in the following ways:
- Increased egg quality
- Improved blood flow to the uterus
- Decrease of blockages (cysts, polyps) that prevent the process of the egg and sperm meeting to create an embryo
- Improve uterine lining allowing for implantation to occur
- Increased blood flow for placenta growth and health
- Restores energetic balance in body/mind to create fertile ground to allow for a healthy pregnancy and birth
- Improves sperm morphology, motility & count
- Support labor and delivery
Check out this short video explaining how acupuncture can help with infertility:
Acupuncture For IVF
Acupuncture and herbal medicine are safe and effective to be used before, during and after pregnancy. They are be an ideal compliment to IVF treatment because they can reduce stress, promote healthy blood flow and circulation, help to build a healthy uterine lining, can help to prevent recurrent miscarriages and more.
Additionally acupuncture can help to mitigate many of the common symptoms associated with IVF and hormone therapy including mood swings, fatigue and irritability.
We enjoy working in collaboration with other Fertility Specialists, Reproductive Endocrinologists, IVF Clinics, OB-GYNs, Midwives, Doulas and more.
Embryo Transfer Acupuncture
Studies show that acupuncture before and after an embryo transfer may boost implantation rates upwards of 25%. Acupuncture can be used alone to support fertility or in conjunction with IVF, IUI and other Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) (1).
Acupuncture may support embryo transfers by:
- Improving blood flow to the cervix, uterus and ovaries, optimizing chances of easy implantation and a healthy, full term pregnancy
- Settling the nervous system and reducing stress. This will help you relax before, during and after the procedure
- Minimize symptoms common after embryo transfers
How is it done?
If you’re looking for support during your embryo transfer, we will travel with you to the clinic of your choice in San Diego County. A 30-40 minute acupuncture treatment will be given before your transfer, and then another 30-40 minute treatment will be given after.
The protocol we use for before and after transfers has been well researched and proven to increase your chances of pregnancy. It is intended to promote healthy blood flow to the uterus, settle the nervous system and reduce stress, creating optimal conditions for implantation.
If you’re interested in acupuncture support during your embryo transfer, but don’t need us to come to your fertility clinic, you may opt to come into our office up to 24 hours before/after your transfer.
For the LGBTQ+ Community
Natural Harmony Reproductive Health believes that all families deserve to have access to the best fertility support available.
At Natural Harmony Reproductive Health, we are well versed in the processes that LGBTQ+ families may need to go through in order to conceive, and are thrilled to offer fertility and pregnancy support the queer community. We welcome families of all shapes and sizes and are happy to work in tandem with reproductive endocrinologists, OB/Gyns, IVF/IUI fertility clinics, midwives, surrogates, known donors and others to support you in your fertility and pregnancy journey.
- Paulus, W., Xhang, M., Strehler, E., El-Danasouri, I. Sterzik, K. (2002), Influence of acupuncture on the pregnancy rate in patients who undergo assisted reproduction therapy